Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Theatre BC’s Answer Library!


Q. Does Theatre BC have a SOCAN (Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada) License that clubs can use?

A. Theatre BC does not have a blanket coverage agreement with SOCAN. Each club’s performance or theatre facility usually pays for their own rights as the use of music is different for each production. It is each club’s responsibility to ensure that you have the proper license to use music in your production, or a blanket license (yearly fee) for your club or facility. Details on licensing can be found on their website: SOCAN

Q. What is the difference between a GRAND Right and a SMALL Right?

A. SOCAN represents the “small” performing rights in musical works. When musical works are used in theatrical shows and/or operas that combine the music with staging, dialogue, and costuming, it is referred to as a “grand” right. Anne of Green Gables by Norman Campbell and The Nutcracker by Pyotr Tchaikovsky are both productions which have “grand” rights. To obtain a grand right licence, you must contact the publisher. If you have further questions about SOCAN licensing, please contact SOCAN at 1-866-944-6223 or