Bylaws & Constitution
The British Columbia Drama Association / Theatre BC
Theatre BC Bylaws are based on the British Columbia Societies Act, but we have some additions:
(Consolidated and filed with the registrar of companies, Victoria as at September 29, 1983)
The British Columbia Drama Association/Theatre BC Constitution
- The name of the Society is ” THE BRITISH COLUMBIA DRAMA ASSOCIATION/THEATRE B.C.”
- The purposes of the Society are:
- To serve and represent community theatre groups in order to benefit cultural growth within the Province of British Columbia;
- To act as a parent body in providing services to community theatre groups;
- To encourage theatre as a recreational activity;
- To enlist the support of citizens and government for theatrical activity;
- To contribute to the development of theatre in British Columbia and in Canada;
- To foster, guide, develop, organize and administer Provincial Drama Festivals;
- To work with and encourage continuing co-operation with arts organizations provincially, inter-provincially and federally.
- The operations of the Society are to be carried on throughout the Province of British Columbia in accordance with By-laws adopted by the Society.
- In the event of winding-up or dissolution of the Society, funds and assets of the Society remaining after the satisfaction of its debts and liabilities, shall be given or transferred to such organization or organizations promoting the same purpose as this Society as may be determined by the members of the Society at the time of winding-up or dissolution, and if effect cannot be given to the aforesaid provisions, then such funds shall be given or transferred to some other organization, provided however that such organization shall be a registered charity recognized by Revenue Canada, Taxation as being qualified as such under the provisions of the Income Tax Act of Canada from time to time in effect.
- The purposes of the Society shall be carried out without purpose of personal financial gain for its members and any profits or other accretions to the Society shall be used for promoting its purposes.
- Paragraphs 4, 5 and 6 of the Constitution are unalterable in accordance with the Society Act.